Come join us at a special community meeting to learn about ways to support youth leaving the juvenile justice system.
In the summer of 2016, Camp Sweeney Freedom Schools partnered with CA State Assemblyman Tony Thurmond to engage the young men residing at the juvenile detention camp in leadership development activities to identify ways to improve re-entry services for youth coming out of the juvenile justice system.
Through this effort, a youth-led bill and strategy has been developed to help expand services offered for youth in California when they leave juvenile detention camps in the state.
AB 1488 was developed by youth in detention to ensure that youth receive comprehensive wraparound services (housing, counseling, education, career training, legal support, and more) upon leaving the juvenile justice system.
Come to the meeting to:
- Learn about the bill and the strategy
- Provide feedback
- Look for ways to partner with the effort
- This meeting is open to the public. Those in attendance will include:
- Youth and youth advocates
- Family members of adjudicated youth
- Policy makers and experts
- Youth serving organizations